Nursing Home Negligence Lawyers in Chicago
When you decided upon a nursing home for a member of your family, you likely never thought about the possibility of abuse. You decided to trust that the facility would treat your family member with care and compassion. However, that is not always the case. It is an unfortunate fact that nursing homes often engage in negligence or outright harm that results in emotional, physical, sexual, and even financial abuse of its residents.
If you believe your loved one has suffered abuse in any of these ways, it is important that you bring it to the attention of the facility’s administrators. If you do get the satisfaction from them, we strongly advise that you seek assistance from a lawyer at Angelini, Ori + Abate. Our lawyers put over seven decades of shared legal experience on your side. We work vigorously to hold wrongdoers accountable whose acts of omission or commission harm others. We can help you make a viable claim seeking compensation for your loved one’s injuries and losses.
Suspect harm done to your loved one in a nursing home? Discuss your options with a Chicago nursing home negligence lawyer in a free consultation. Contact Angelini, Ori + Abate at (312) 313-(312) 621-0000.
Nursing Negligence & Abuse
Nursing home abuse and negligence can occur in numerous ways by both staff and other residents.
Signs and examples of such abuse can include but are not limited to:
- Unexplained injuries. These can include bruises, lacerations, sprains, fractures, and more caused by falls or physical abuse from staff or other residents.
- Emotional distress. The resident can become depressed, withdrawn, agitated, fearful, or uncommunicative, especially in the presence of the person that has abused them.
- Fast and unexplained weight loss. This may be the result of a state of emotional distress due to abuse or from negligence by staff in ensuring the resident takes proper meals.
- Malnutrition and dehydration. This may be done willfully or through improper supervision by staff.
- Bed sores. These develop when a resident’s position is not frequently shifted or moved.
- Infections. These can result from unsanitary conditions or actions by staff, such as when dealing with breathing tubes, making injections, or other medical handling.
- Medication errors. This can involve overmedicating residents to control them or providing wrong or improper doses of medications.
- Using physical restraints to keep residents under control which traumatize the resident.
- Sexual assault. These acts can by committed by both staff and other residents.
- Bullying, ridicule, and humiliation. This type of verbal abuse is another form of assault on the wellbeing of the resident.
- Financial abuse. This occurs when staff members or others take control of a resident’s finances. It can include persuading or coercing the resident into making changes to accounts, wills, and other assets or actual theft of personal items.
These types of negligence and harm often come about by poorly-trained and inexperienced staff or through their overworking due to staff shortages. Another cause is for-profit facilities that try to cut corners in order to increase their profits; these facilities can fall below proper standards.
“Excellent service.”- Laure J.
Representing Individuals in Chicago, IL
Nursing home residents are among the most vulnerable of all Americans. They often have no voice and frequently face doubt and misbelief when speaking up. Residents may fear telling family members about abuse or negligence for fear of retribution by their caretakers. At Angelini, Ori + Abate, our legal team remains strongly sensitive to the needs of these individuals. We will fight tenaciously to protect your loved one’s rights while seeking the compensation they deserve when harmed.
Request a free consultation by contacting Angelini, Ori + Abate online or at (312) 313-(312) 621-0000 today.